THE SOLAR MONTHS
1. Ao Nui – (June) Maaruaroa o Takurua Hotoke (Takurua Waipu) -winter solstice- Matariki, Puanga.
2. Te Aho Turuturu – (July) war of the gods begins.
3. Te Iho Matua – (August) war of the gods ends.
4. Taperewai – (September) Rite o Te Raa me Te Poo Koanga Mahuru -spring equinox- Whakaahu, Parearohi -the shimmering heat is seen-.
5. Tatau Urutahi – (October) Whakaahu, Pipiwharauroa return to mainland.
6. Tatau Uruora – (November) Autahi, Puanga, Matariki, Tautoru, Whakaahu, Patiki.
7. Akaaka Nui – (December) Maaruaroa o Raumati (Warutuhoehoe) -summer solstice- Uruao, Rehua.
8. Ahuahu Mataroa – (Janurary) fruits are set, Tautoru, Matiti.
9. Te Ihonui – (February) Ruhi.
10. Putokinui oo Tau – (March) Rite o Te Raa me Te Poo Ngaa Huru -autumn equinox- crop lifting begins.
11. Tikaka Muturangi – (April) Te Whare Waananga Auturoa begins, Whaanui is in the north prior to sunrise, Tawera is due east as the morning star, Hine Nui te Poo is due west.
12. Uruwhenua – (May)