1. Io; The supreme god, creator of all things, dwells in the 12th heaven.
2. Whatukura; Male gods or spirits dwelling in the 12th heaven they act as a means of communication between Io and Te Whanau Aa Rangi.
3. Mareikura; Female gods or spirits, the wives of Te Whatukura.
4. Apa; Messengers and servitors of Te Whatukura and Mareikura; these are both male and female and are symbolically represented by whirlwinds.
5. Pou Tiri Ao; Guardian spirits.
6. Whanau a Rangi; The seventy sons of the sky father and earth mother.