From Ohiwa, Paoa and the overland party marched along the shores to Kereu stream near Te Kaha where they took a short cut up that stream, over the Raukumura Range and down into the valley of the Tapuwaeroa stream, and then across to Tuparoa on the East Coast.

At Tuparoa the party made camp beside the Waitekaha stream to await Te Tiratapu a Pouheni, and also search the beach for Horouta.

They named places on both sides of the Raukumura Ranges; Horanga Maro and Horanga Kakahu along the banks of Te Kereu stream where Hinekauirangi spread her garments to dry; Whakauranga –a ridge of the Puketauhinu Range which slopes towards the Motu River-, and Tapuwae o Hinekauirangi, between the sources of the Mangaonuku and the Mangarata streams.

At Waitekaha, an Umu was prepared and food was left for the Tiratapu a Pouheni, while Paoa and his party went inland to gather food.

Hinekauirangi went on to Te Araroa where she reunited with the Horouta.

Paoa and his party eventually emerged at Taiharakeke Beach at Waipiro Bay, where they again searched for Horouta, but, in not being successful and with food supplies running low they decided to return inland.

Among the chief hunters were Awapaka and Te Hatoitoi, the carriers of the calabashes of food; Kahutore with his Korapa –two-pronged spit for roasting-; Koneke and Whioroa, who each had Tao; Taneherepi with a Kaha, Tangitoronga who caught birds and fish with a Koraparua, Kura with his Hinaki, Te Paki who owned a Kuri; Irakaiputahi with a Porete, and Mahaututea with his Here.

Paoa and his party continued south along the coastline eventually reaching Anaura Bay, where they again went inland then arrived at Whangara to find the Tiratapu a Pouheni.

After providing the Tiratapu a Pouheni with food and supplies, Paoa instructed them to continue south along the coast line until they met the Horouta crew.

Paoa and his party again turned inland and roamed over the dividing ranges from which the Mata river flows Northwards into the Waiapu river, while south flowed the Waiau, the Hikuwai, Uawa, Waingaromia, and the Waiopaoa rivers.

From the headwaters of the Waiopaoa they followed along the Mangaotane to its junction with the Motu river at Te Poroporoa a Paoa.

Upstream along the Motu river the party came to the junction with the Whakamarie stream and found a pool of clear water which they called Te Mimi o Paoa; the lake from which it flowed was Whakamarie.

Changing direction, the party marched towards a high hill on the western side of the Mangatu river, shaped like the forepiece of a Waka, which they named Maungahaumi.

They then hurried on to Kaikamakama, and later arrived at the source of a stream where Paoa found a tree that he thought would make a suitable replacement Haumi for Horouta.

So, the stream was named Te Manga i Tu ai Rakau a Paoa, or in its shortened form, Mangatu river.

Paoa, Hounuku, Houtea and Houtaketake camped beside the tree whilst the rest of the party marched across to Te Upoko o Paoa, which is a cliff shapped like a man’s head on the motu block between Maungahaumi and Matawai township.

From there they headed towards the sea and came out at the mouth of the Maraetaha river, where they carried on to Muriwai, and finally onto Tuuranganui a Kiwa where they were reunited with Kiwa and his party.

Paoa eventually cut the tree down, and floated it upon the Mangatu and Waipaoa rivers to Toanga, on the Matawhero block, next to Bushmere Road.

Leaving it there the party crossed the river and went on to Wherowhero where Paoa was reunited with his sister Hinehakirirangi.

Paoa lived in the house Ihumea, and cultivated the garden Papakanui on the south side of the Muriwai stream.

© Copyright 2007-2020 Auturoa - All Rights Reserved.