Hau Hau Pai Maarire ki Waiaua originated in 1862 at the coastal village of Waiaua which lays southwards from Te Maunga Taranaki.
It was Te Ua Haumene whom first received the divine vision from the Angel of God which caused him to give rise to the Hau Hau Pai Maarire ki Waiaua faith movement.
Around 1826 the village of Waiaua was attacked during a Waikato incursion of Taranaki when Te Ua and his mother were taken captive and as slaves and subsequently returned to Kawhia in the Waikato district.
Whilst there Te Ua was baptised by the Wesleyan Missionary John Whitley whom bestowed the baptismal name of Horopapera upon him.
By 1840 - working as a junior missionary - Te Ua had returned to Taranaki in charge of the Wesleyan Missionary’s Creed and Skevington program and in times of absence by his teachers he conducted the church services.
When the land wars started over the Waitara purchase in 1860 Te Ua - whilst still performing duties as a Wesleyan Missionary - became involved in the assertion of Maaori ownership of the land and whilst he favoured and end to enmity through the separation of Maaori and European settlement he eventually picked up arms during the fighting over Waitara advocating for the King movement in the hope that the people of Taranaki and Ngati Ruanui would unite behind the King movement.
After a peace accord had been reached to end the fighting of Waitara Te Ua went to live a few miles outside the village of Te Namu were he returned to the teachings of the missionaries.
On the 1st of September 1862 the people of Te Namu found the Royal Steamer ‘Lord Worsley’ grounded but upright upon their beach with over sixty passengers and crew members along with the ship’s cargo onshore.
The leaders of Te Namu became conflicted over their requirements of hospitality towards the Europeans and their obligations towards Tangata Whenua.
It was upon the fifth night after the ship’s grounding that Te Ua became seized with an illness and became Porewarewa.
The Angel of God had come unto him and called “Who is this man sleeping? Rise Up! Rise Up!”
Although he was conflicted by the following message delivered by the Angel Te Ua presented himself affront the leaders of Te Namu and urged the chiefs to guard the ship along with it’s passengers and cargo so as word may be carried to the councils of the Maaori King, but this message was not agreed upon with the chiefs responding, “Whom indeed would listen to the words of one whose bones have been silenced?”
On the 9th September 1862, four days after becoming Porewarewa, Te Ua was again visited by the Angel whom instructed him to fast for one day for the sins of his people and then deliver his revelations unto the hands of strange children, whose mouths spoke falsehood.
The people however continued to mock Te Ua as a madman and at some date prior to the 1st of September 1863 his own people seized upon him then imprisoned him bound in chains.
Three times was Te Ua imprisoned and chained and three times did the Angel break his chains and set him free from captivity.
Te Ua thereafter his emancipation continued with his quest for bringing the Pai Maarire movement unto the people.
By the start of 1864 there were three acknowledged leaders of the Pai Maarire movement.
These were Te Ua, Epanaia Kapewhiti -whom was subsequently killed in the battle at Te Morere 30th April 1864- and Matene Rangitauira -whom was subsequently killed at the battle of Moutua Island 14th May 1864-.
The deaths of Epanaia and Matene were a consequence from the 6th of April 1884 slaying’s and beheading of Captain Thomas Lloyd and his six man detachment of the 57th regiment.
Captain Lloyd and his men had been engaged in a crop destroying expedition at Ahu Ahu in Taranaki when they were ambushed by a party of Hau Hau warriors whom slayed them decapitating all but one soldier.
In an act of peaceful reconciliation with the settlers Te Ua reached out to John White in Whanganui and arranged to return the severed head of Captain Lloyd and on 23rd June 1864 White reported to Featherston the successful return of the head from the Hands of Te Ua
By August 1864 a Runanga had been called for by Te Ua and convened at Taiporohenui in which the Maaori King Matutaera was in attendance.
During his four month stay with Te Ua, King Matutaera was baptized into the Pai Maarire faith where he was given the new name of King Tawhiao and recognised as monarch of the Pai Marire with Te Ua as its high priest.
Three years latter however King Tawhiao was to reform the movement and established the Taraiao movement.
After the departure of King Tawhiao, Tu Ua ordered the preserved head of an unidentified European to be carried to the Tairaawhiti district to be presented as token to Te Kani a Takirau whom was the reigning chief of that district.
The path set down by Te Ua extends from Matakaha, Taranaki to Pipiriki thence direct to Taupo thence direct to Urewera thence direct to Uawa whence it ends.
Two priests of the Pai Maarire faith, Patara Raukatauiri and Kereopa Te Rau were subsequently dispatched with the head to bring it unto Te Kani of Tairaawhiti.
Unfortunately the two priests did not adhere to the instructions of travel in peace given by Te Ua and on the 2nd March 1865 in Opotiki Kereopa gruesomely murdered the Missionary Carl Sylvius Volkner.
It was this barbarous act that became the final cause for growing cries to destroy the Pai Maarire faith.
Later in 1865 the Pai Maarire had arrived and sat with Te Kani whom refused to take the head and convert to Pai Maarire but he did however allow them to stay and take residence within his district.
Within the Tairaawhiti district it was Raharuhi Rukupo and other chiefs whom converted and upheld the new faith of Pai Maarire.
By the end of 1865 Te Ua had returned to Waiaua and continued to sue for peace among Tangata Whenua and the Visitors where he eventually joined others at Opunake in signing a letter to The Governor stating their abandonment of Hau Hau Pai Maarire and Kingitanga.
Early in February 1866 in his home village of Waiaua near Opunake, Te Ua surrendered to General Chute and 250 soldiers who were completing a circuit of the Taranaki province destroying Kainga and Mara of those Maaori whom were deemed unfriendly.
Te Ua willingly surrendered to bring an end to Chute’s campaign and avoid future fighting.
Te Ua was then handed over to Governor Grey whom -under advice from Donald McLean- dragged him shackled anti clockwise around the north island where he was eventually returned to Taranaki as a free man in June 1866.
Te Ua had returned home gravely ill and he eventually succumbed to his illness passing over on the 30th October 1866.